Before school this morning Drew was in need of a bath, so we poured the bubbles and turned on the water and scrubbed him up. After a little playtime, I managed to convince him it was time to get out of the tub and wrap up in the towel. So I wrapped him, picked him up, and cuddled with him on the couch for a few minutes before moving on to the next thing on our morning to-do list: getting dressed.
There was some clean laundry waiting to be folded next to us on the couch, so I started showing Drew various options for clothes to wear to school that day. His Mickey Mouse jeans, numerous pairs of comfy pants, his second favorite sweatshirt, etc. Drew said no to everything I showed him, then declared emphatically that he wanted to wear his towel to school. I replied "Drew, a towel? To school? That's silly. You wouldn't be able to play because you'd have to hold up your towel all day."
He was not to be dissuaded, shouting even louder no's to the various other clothes options I tried to convince him to wear, and saying "I WANT TO WEAR MY TOWEL TO SCHOOL." I thought maybe Daddy could convince him that it was a little silly to wear his towel to school so we called Bill at work and I put Drew on speaker phone to tell Daddy about his idea for what to wear to school. Bill repeated what I had said, and Drew seemed to understand, but as soon as we hung up the phone and I attempted to tickle Drew free from the towel, the child went running, with his towel of course, to one of his hiding places (between our washer and dryer). The poor kid cried and screamed about wearing his towel to school for a good 10 minutes before finally agreeing to put on some real clothes.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've heard that you should let your child help make wardrobe decisions from early on. You want to encourage their creativity. Ben often wears an Army hat to school, and sometimes I have to say no to some of his other outfit choices.
However, I think the school would think you were nuts if you let Drew wear a towel!
Post a Comment