Sunday, May 11, 2008

M is for Mommy

My wonderful husband and son made me feel very special on this Mother's Day. It started on Friday afternoon when I picked Drew up from daycare. Drew had made the following card (well, colored at least) for me and was so proud of himself "I made card for Mommy" he kept saying. So I said "Drew, you made card for Mommy? That's so nice." When we got home he promptly put the card up on the refridgerator, where all of his latest school creations are proudly displayed with his beloved magnets. He's fond of saying about each of his projects "I did that myself." Anyhow, for the last 3 days whenever he goes anywhere near the fridge he proudly says "I made card for Mommy. That's so nice." It's also a very appropriate card as we frequently refer to Drew as our little monkey.The festivities continued this morning when Bill ran out early to get flowers (see below) and donuts. And not that they're really picture-worthy, but the donuts didn't stick around long enough to be photographed anyway.After church we went for brunch and then spent the afternoon chilling before Bill made very yummy crab legs for dinner. And, as I post this, Bill is mopping the floor because I told him that was the one thing I really wanted for Mother's Day. I'm a lucky woman...

On another note, wasn't I just blogging about Drew being unable to remember song lyrics? Well the following story illustrates just how quickly things can change in the life of a toddler. After his nap today, Drew wanted to do his alphabet flash cards, so we laid in his bed and worked on the alphabet. He's long been able to identify all the pictures (even the ones that aren't part of everyday vocabulary: igloo, quail, umpire), so now we use them to try work on letter recognition. So far he's pretty reliable with E, H, M, R, and X. He always says "M is for Mommy." Anyhow, we got to S and the picture is of the sun, so Drew correctly said "sun" and I flipped the card over, showed him the S and said S is for Sun. Then he flipped the card back over to the sun and sang "Sunny Day..." with the exact right notes of the Sesame Street theme song. So I chimed in and sang "Sweepin' the clouds away." Then Drew piped up with "On my way" I concluded the song "to where the air is sweet. Can you tell me how to get How to get to Sesame Street." We sang it a few more times and he seemed to be picking up on "clouds away" and "Sesame Street" too. So then we moved on to more flash cards and came to C (obviously we weren't going in order). The picture is a cake and Drew started to sing "Happy Birthday to You." It was just the cutest thing. Music teacher Aunt Katie was particularly impressed when he repeated the performance on the phone.

One more picture just because it's funny and cute. After flashcards and some puzzles, Drew decided to play with his trucks. So he pushed them into Mommy's office and did this:


Yes, that's Drew sitting in one of his Tonka trucks and resting his feet in the other. Silly kid!

Finally, I just want to wish my blogger girls all a Happy Mother's Day! I'm so glad I get to be a part of your daily lives through this--it's wonderful to see your kids grow up. And Happy Mother's Day to any other family & friends that might be reading this.

1 comment:

The Thrailkill's said...

Drew is getting so big!!