Thursday, April 3, 2008

Splash Time Adventures


Last Saturday, my mom and I took Drew to the indoor aquatic center. He starts his second round of swim lessons in just a couple of weeks, so I wanted to refamiliarize him with the pool. The new T-shirt Grandma and Grandpa Calnon got for Drew for Easter just so happened to match his swim trunks, so I had to take a pre-pool picture of that.


When we arrived Drew made a mad dash to the warming pool (huge hot tub). Unfortunately, it was closed for a swim lesson for the first 45 minutes of Splash Time (special time for kids under 5 and their parents). Drew did not take this news so well. I carried him, literally kicking and screaming, into the bigger pool (which is also heated, just not as much). For the first 10 minutes or so, I tried to engage him in kicking, splashing, getting his head wet. He wanted no part of it. Just kept crying and saying over and over "I no go big pool. I go that one." I wasn't sure he was going to be able to hold out for the 45 minutes it was going to be for the warming pool to free up.

Eventually, after a trip to the potty with Grandma, some playing with one of the floaty noodles, and some turns jumping in the big pool from the sides, he calmed down. As the 45 minute mark approached, we ventured over to the small slide in the big pool, unfortunately within view of the warming pool. Although he humored me by heading down the slide a few times, he was intent on getting out of that pool and into the warming pool.







And then it came, the glorious moment when the swim instructor moved the sign that said "Closed for Swim Lessons" away from Drew's beloved warming pool. He practically beat me into the water! Here are a couple of short videos of Drew jumping (he has no fear) and "swimming." And his beautiful smile returns...

All I have to say is...Thank God the swim lessons for his age group are in the warming pool!

p.s. What possessed me to voluntarily put pictures of myself in a bathing suit on the internet is beyond me!

1 comment:

The Cook Family said...

Oh, if only I could get Ben to do that! I showed him the video and he was very interested. Maybe this summer!