Sunday, August 30, 2009

Look Mom, No Hands!



Drew is in another round of swimming lessons right now that occur only on Saturday mornings. I'm sometimes reluctant to put him in the Saturday-only classes because I wonder if he loses anything he's gained in the week downtime, but it was the only option for classes for him this time, so it's what we went with. Last week he had no class because of a triathlon in town that was using the pool, so yesterday it had been two weeks since he'd been in the pool. It was also, however, parent observation day. So as I sat on the edge of the pool watching Drew I think he was determined to show me that he had no problem retaining his water skills from week to week.

After some assisted practice swims with the forward and backward stroke, Drew was ready to show off. His teacher had each of the kids float on their back. Drew is the youngest in the class (again) and the older boys are much stronger swimmers than he is, so the teacher typically has to support Drew during his back float. Not this time though. As I looked on through my camera lens, I realized his teacher had removed his hands from supporting Drew and my baby boy was actually still floating. I was so glad he had chosen parent observation day to do this for the first time and I could tell him right after how proud I was of him.





Drew still has plenty of work to do on improving his strokes in the water (as you can see in the video) but he's improving so much.
Here's a few more pictures I took during Drew's lessons yesterday.
Waiting his turn on the wall.
Practicing freestyle with the noodle for support.
Another pic on the wall.
Drew had some very red eyes to show for all his underwater retrievals of these diving sticks during class.
I'm pretty sure Drew could spend the entire 30 minutes of his lesson jumping in the water, climbing the ladder, and jumping in again. To say he loves jumping in the water might be the biggest understatement of the year.

No comments: