Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Homework

At the end of Drew's first week of Pre-K, his teacher handed me some homework for the little man. I thought to myself "Homework? For a 4 year old?" But then I saw what it was and thought, oh...this will be fun to do together.


Drew had to fill in the answers on this information sheet and decorate this pennant with pictures/drawings/words of things he likes. So we set about the information sheet first and I thought it would be a good opportunity for Drew to practice writing his letters. I also, however, wanted his teachers to be able to read it, so I guided Drew's hand while he was writing. After the first couple of lines I realized Drew was more proficient at writing than I thought he was so I lessened my guidance. I think he did a pretty good job and it was fun for me to hear whether he would choose what I thought he would for the different questions. There were few surprises, except that I hadn't realized spaghetti ranked right up there with pizza for favorite foods.


The pennant was a lot of fun to do. We went through old magazines I had (thank goodness I still had some Parenting and Family Circle magazines and not just Cosmo to choose from!), the grocery store ad, and a toy store sale paper to find pictures of things that Drew likes. Drew would cruise through the magazines and ads and get so excited when he found something. Then he would cut the pictures as I guided the paper. Because I'm anal retentive I came up with a few themes for his photos and organized them on the pennant according to favorite foods, favorite shows to watch, and favorite things to do/play with. Drew loved using the glue stick to put all the pictures on. It was a really fun project and Drew enjoyed showing his teachers and friends all the pictures we picked out.

No comments: