A couple months ago my friend Kimmi convinced me to join a local mom's group with her, and I'm so glad I dad. Although Drew has a number of friends from preschool, I don't really know any of their parents. With the group, we get to make new friends together! With my friends scattered about the country and overseas, I had forgotten how much I missed having a group of girlfriends. Anyhow, a couple weeks ago the group organized a playdate tour of one of the local firehouses. I thought this would be heaven for Drew as he is so obsessed with ladders, trucks, and pretty much anything to do with firefighters. At first, though, he was a little shy. He didn't want to climb in the big truck and check it out, even after I offered to go with him. He was so whiny and attached to my hip I thought we might have to leave early. Then, they broke out the hoses. Once Drew saw some of the other kids getting a turn at spraying one of the real firefighter hoses he was in.
Here's firefighter Drew practicing spraying the hose--he almost got Mommy a couple of times as I tried to take their pictures. May have to work on his aim!

After loosening up a bit with the hose, Drew was then willing to climb up into the big truck. He laid on the horn as soon as he sat down and scared the crap out of me! Here he is post-horn blowing.
Not the most flattering picture of Mommy, but here we are in front of the big truck.

Drew telling me over and over "I'm as big as the wheel Mommy! Take my picture with the big wheel."
Drew posing next to one of the rescue trucks

Drew in one of the firefighter's lockers

Getting dressed up in the gear

My little firefighting man

I'm so glad he finally warmed up to it all because I know he would have been asking to go back to the fire station and do the things he hadn't done if he'd continued his funky mood.
No comments:
Post a Comment