Sunday, September 14, 2008

Catching Up...

It's been busy here lately, so I thought I'd do a catch-all post of what we've been up to.

Drew started a new school right after Labor Day. We had hoped to get him into the preschool age class at the on-post Child Development Center, but the wait list was too long. So we found another preschool that we felt comfortable with that's closer to our house than his old daycare and that had immediate openings. Drew cried a little the first two days I dropped him off, but the teacher said he was his happy normal self within minutes of me leaving. After the 3rd day he now happily goes to join the other kids in whatever they're doing and barely notices I'm leaving. His teacher has "helpers" each day that help with various tasks in their class. So far Drew has been the froggie helper (feeding the class's pet frogs), snack helper, and line leader. He's so proud of himself when he tells me "Mommy I was Miss Ashley's snack helper today!" and he's still talking about feeding the froggies the first day. He seems to be having trouble remembering his new friends' names though, because whenever I ask who he played with on the playground or who got to feed the froggies he says "Some people."

Another nice feature of Drew's new school is that the playground has tricycles for the kids to ride on. Drew had figured out pedaling earlier this summer, but still sometimes resorted to his Flintstone method of bike-riding. I think the tricycles on the playground have improved his pedaling. Here he is in the driveway a couple of days ago.

Drew and Daddy's museum Saturdays have been replaced the last couple of weeks by a shopping trip to Phoenix and a visit to the Tucson zoo. It amazes us we're still able to shop for Drew while he's with us. Bill just kept telling him the toys and books were for Daddy. At the zoo, Drew loves to feed the fish and ducks. Here he is on the elephant statue.
Drew has also taken to singing quite a bit lately...copying the Wonder Pets theme song, the songs they learn each day at school, and his favorites (Pop goes the Weasel, Wheels on the Bus and Ants Go Marching). Here's his version of Happy Birthday. And after Drew finishes singing you can hear Drew's latest take on how old Mommy is. I had hoped adding the one to thirty might magically make Drew figure out the difference between 30 and 40, but as you'll see in the video, no such luck.
I had a pretty low-key but nice birthday that included an hour long massage and dinner out with Bill, Drew, and our friend Mishja whose birthday is 4 days before mine. My boys also got me a great birthday gift, in addition to the massage, of the first two seasons of Friday Night Lights on DVD. I love that show. Can't wait till it premieres Oct 1st!

3 comments:

The Thrailkill's said...

Happy Late BDay

The Cook Family said...

Happy Birthday Jenn! I didn't forget, we've just been a little busy with Nick home from the hospital after his hip surgery. I'll call soon to catch up!

The Murray Family said...

No, you just let Drew think you're 28 forever..haha!! Ian loved the video of him on the tricycle. He kept saying, "More Drew big cycle" but after about 10 times I had to put a stop to it. Ha!